Thursday, June 14, 2007

Whole lotta nothing going on

Well, that pretty much sums it up lately. But I know people are wondering, so I figured I'd update.

Still haven't been able to locate the missing paycheck. Payroll dept. says they sent it to the Training dept. at IAH, and they (training) either have it or mailed it. Training dept. has no idea what the Payroll dept. is talking about. But we are expecting trips to both IAH and ONT in the next 1.5 weeks, so we'll get it figured out eventually. Lord knows where the one due to be issued tomorrow will end up.

A is still on paid vacation at home awaiting his IOE. I think we are in week 4 now. He got a call from scheduling today to report to Newark tomorrow for it, but he had to remind them that he had not yet done his LOFT flight yet and that had to be done first. So they said they would schedule that and call him back "in a few days". He still hasn't been out to IAH to pick up his uniform yet either, but that's his own fault. Once he's done with IOE, we'll know when he has to report out to ONT.

We did have a pleasant trip non-reving out to OKC last weekend. There were a few kinks to be worked out by the ticket/gate agents, but overall it was nice. I didn't mind the kinks as a non-rev, but as a paying passenger I would have been a little suprised. Flight crew we had on the way out was top notch. Flight crews for the return trip were ok- one was perfunctory and one was new. But it all could have been a lot worse, so I can't complain.

Sent Kidzilla out to CA for a week to visit family after the trip. It's so nice to have a week alone with just me and A. We've been out to dinner, to the movies and just hung out. He'll be traveling out to ONT to get him at the beginning of next week.

A and I have been dealing with our impending separation differently. He's become more clingy and wants to spend as much time as possible with me. I've been pulling away from him to avoid missing him too much when he leaves. It's interesting what we notice in each other and how we cope.

I've been thinking lately about military wives and how they cope. When A is gone, I always think to myself- well at least he's only gone for a week, he could be military and gone for months. But then I realized that while that may be true, there is also quite a bit of support for miliatry wives that isn't there for pilot wives. In the military, you are surrounded by other families who are going through the same thing. There is base daycare and activities, a family support office and just a general sense of community. As a pilot's wife, the only other wife friends I have are part of a virtual community. I don't know, in person, a single other wife who's husband is based across the country and only comes home on select weekends. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges, but still I feel in some respects they do have it easier. Although I don't envy the constant worry of whether my husband will return home that they must undergo.

Thanks to all of the people who publicly and privately supported me after seeing the negative comment that got posted. I appreciate what you said. The poster used an obviously fake email address when leaving their comment. My feeling is that if are going to critizize someone then you should at least have the balls to leave your real name. So I don't take what they had to say very seriously. Yes, my pilot does read this blog; he's actually been asking me when I was going to post again. And every relationship is different.

Here's to a hopefully happy and fun filled, adults only weekend for me!

No comments: