Thursday, September 1, 2011

FIVE years of blogging happiness!

There are years that ask questions and there are years that answer.

Today marks five years of blogging. I am amazed that I have managed to find enough to stay to keep going for this long. I am the girl who cringes at any sort of journaling task in school. I never anticipated it, but this blog has seen me through so many ups and downs- my first post was when A was still instructing at a local flight school. Eventually he got hired (!) by a regional and just when we thought we were settling into life he was diagnosed with cancerr. We made it through treatment and settled into the waiting period. A was contracting back at the flight school and I was trying not to wallow in misery. It was about this time that I wrote some of my most raw and bitter posts. But we made it through. A stood by my side when I announced that I was going to relocate our family to attend graduate school. I started looking into research on pilot wives and wrote my most popular post ever. I approached our Critical Incident Response Program Committee about putting together a resource for wives about their roles in an emergency situation which they were very excited about but eventually dropped the ball on. Things finally turned around for us and after three years of infertility, I finally got pregnant. A was finally able to return to work after two and a half years off. I graduated with a Master's degree. Today, we've settled into the routine of him working again, my managing two children and our life seems pretty stable for now. The initial quote was given to me by another pilot wife friend when I was in a time of need. It's always been a hopeful reminder to me when times are rough and I hope that now we are in a year of answers.

You have to keep going within yourself to find your own truth. If you don't keep discovering new truth, you'll just be rehashing and no one will want to listen to you.

When I first started this blog, I couldn't find any other blogs about being a pilot wife and it was difficult to find a network of friends. Through the past years, I seen some friends come and go as they took up with blogging and eventually found life leading them down other roads and blogging less- Emma, Nicole, FH and Global Gal are a few. I gradually changed my focus from all about aviation to more general things about my life. I guess I came to a point when I finally got out everything I needed to say about the lifestyle that had been bottled up. Joanna has taken up the reigns on that topic. But I still do try to write about things that come up, because they are frequent. And now there are tons of other pilot wife bloggers out there- some I follow and others I just know about. Most of the people who read my blog are people I DON'T know, which is an interesting feeling for me. If I can help one person make it through a rough patch, then it's been worth it.

Just as I didn't know what lay in store for us five years ago, I don't know what might come up in the next five years for us. I hope that the journey is good, with more ups than downs and that I can handle it all gracefully. That's all I can really ask for in life.

Along with some recognition for a job well done- so leave me a congratulations on putting it all out there for the last five years comment and provide me with the inspiration to keep on keeping on.

9 comments:

Heatherella said...

and there are several abilities you have that I am a little envious of, but I'm very proud to be friends with a woman of valor, courage, and spitfire!
Congrats on this milestone, and just continue keeping open for the next one. :)

Sandy said...

I love reading all about your life in Florida! Your writing style is great and I am often chuckling. Keep it up!

Emily G said...

I love reading your blog! I forget that we haven't actually talked in a while because I read here and feel up to date on your life! I hope that I can find the silver lining in situations like you have in what you have been dealt and it seems like things are starting to get better! Tell A no more crazy illnesses or broken bones now! :) miss you guys!

Nicole said...

Congrats on your 5 year bloggiversary! It's been wonderful to follow your journey. I'm grateful that we've been able to become friends through our blogs and look forward to more adventures in the future.

Just Call Me Heart-Breaker... said...

Five years is mighty impressive! Looking forward to reading another five!! ;)

Lexy

Rachel said...

Congrats! I have really enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to reading more in the future! If you guys, are ever back in TX, Five Guys is calling our names! :)

Flying High said...

Congratulations! A lot has happened in our lives, to be sure. I'm so pleased it's going so well for you now.

Christy said...

Congrats what an accoplishment!! I know John owes you guys a drink at somepoint because if he (I) hadn't known A was going back to work when he did, he would have never been in the class!! Congrats again on all the accomplishements!!

Kiran D said...

Hi, just came across your blog, as I have recently started up one of my own about being a pilot's wife - i call it my little bit of therapy. just reading your last few posts, i am amazed at some of the similarities in our lives. I am a social worker too, and we have two little ones, 6 and 2. my hubby works for a major now, but we have been together for 12 years and been through many ups and downs in the industry and career in general. i laughed at some of your lingo, as those are some of the same things we talk about too "Livin the Dream' for sure! i had no idea there was such a community of pilot wives out there! so glad to see it.