Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What makes a difference?

With the frenzy of back to school, prepping for a new job, getting all those things that need to get done finished before said job begins, and daily life in general, it's been busy around here. A was right when he said that when I am off work I invent projects and make myself busy. His last few times at home have been filled with to do's and didn't get dones. As soon as he leaves, I'm left feeling like -was he really here? I knew that we should be savoring our time together, especially our time during the day when both kids are at their respective schools, but it just seems like there is so much that needs to be done.

This last trip home, I decided to try something- touch. I made a conscious effort to  touch A more frequently. A hand on the knee when we were in the car, holding hands in a store, resting my hand on his shoulder while talking. Each touch was a reminder to me to slow down and appreciate that he was here, HOME, with me, at this moment. It worked- we didn't feel as rushed and I actually remember our time together. We spent more time just being with the boys and we were able to enjoy each other. A simple solution, but an effective one.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

physical touch is one of the five love languages...it speaks volumes without that much effort. I totally know the power of touch. Slowing down is very important!

Breckan said...

You're exactly right!

Anonymous said...

i wish all wives can do same thing as you did...
Husband need thr wifes care mentally and physically,,