Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Doctors and more doctors...

I have to submit my immunization records, verified by a medical office in order to register for classes in the fall. It's a good thing they told me now. I'm 33, it's been a long time since I had those childhood shots. I certainly don't remember the dates. And neither do my parents. And neither does my childhood pediatrician's office, who destroyed my records in 2006. So today I had to visit the doctor (those 7:30am appointments always sound so convenient when one makes them...) to work out a plan. I got a tetanus booster this morning. My left arm feels like it is going to fall off. I also got blood drawn to check my antibodies for the rest and whatever I'm not already immune to, I'll have to get the shot for. And now they want vaccinations against things I didn't have to have, Hepatitis A and B and Meningitis. Yep, looking forward to all that and more. Just call me pincushion.

A is gearing up for his year after body scan. The first step is to stop taking his medicine for two weeks to get it out of his system. This means that in two weeks I'll be dealing with Mr. Sleepy-Trippy-Forgetful for a few weeks. The last time he was off medication he was tripping over his feet all the time and asking me every five minutes what was he supposed to be doing (what were we at the grocery store for again, where was he going again, what time was that thing again...). I'd equate the annoyance factor to about level with a kid who asks every five minutes if it's time to open birthday presents yet. Yep, that bad.

Step two happens once a blood test confirms the meds are out of his body and is to take a dose of radioactive iodine again and then a few days after to go lay in a giant machine for 6 hours. If he's clear, he can get back on the meds and begin the process of getting back to flying. And look forward to having an unpaid spring break every year for the next 2-3 years as he repeats the procedure. He can't fly while off the medicine or until he returns to a normal level post-procedure. He really deserves the title of pincushion more than I do.

Fingers crossed that everything will go well for both of us, that there will be a minimum of poking and by the fall we'll both be doing what we've been looking forward to for so long.

No comments: