Monday, July 29, 2013

Dating pilots

Three articles came across my view in the past week. All in the same day actually.

What every girl should know about dating a pilot
Top six reasons you should date a pilot
Why it is imperative you land a pilot

The last one is probably my favorite. The last two share a remarkable similarity in the first two topics. A wasn't a pilot when we met. I encouraged him to leave his job and become a pilot. And, admittedly, there are plenty of days when I regret it. But now it's all we know. And if I were ever in the position again, I probably would marry a pilot again.

A few days ago we went to the wedding of a pilot friend of A's. The girl seemed nice but I wondered if she really understood what she was getting into. A life of attending family events alone, trying to fit in a call on skype while prepping dinner and running a load of laundry, going to your kid's award ceremonies and orientations alone, wondering if he's going to make it home for the birth of your child or any holiday. Of having to support the family while waiting for the endless upgrade to captain and then on to a major. Of him always being to tired to do any projects around the house when he is home. Having 23 hours at home between four day trips.

But at least he's employed.

No comments: