Saturday, February 20, 2010

99% Is Good Enough For Me- version 2

A got a call from his dr. the other day. The scans all looked great, as dark and blank as a cloudy night- which is good, any appearing stars would have been cancer regrowth. A still has to have an appt so the dr. can poke him in the neck and make it official, but really, if there's no internal regrowth, it's not likely there will be anything to feel. So we are going with the thought that he'll be returning to work in the near future.

Which leaves me with some admittedly mixed feelings. And A, who as a pilot was born without a panic gene, might, just a little bit, be feeling somewhat nervous about going through training again. Which guarantees to be more difficult to get through when you come in cold vs. having spent the past year or more flying nearly daily. He was, however, born with an overdeveloped confidence gene, as were most pilots.

I really want to say thank you to all of the people who prayed for us, thought of us and pulled for us during this last round of testing. It really meant a lot to me to see that people I don't even know are pulling for us. As for the twenty years thing, I got it in my head that since A has NO thyroid, and therefore wasn't putting out any thyroid hormone of his own that he could only do synthetic for a certain time. But that it would be different for people who put out some of their own hormone.

Things are going well for us otherwise and we are awaiting the return of spring weather.

3 comments:

Jack Fleetwood said...

Congratulations!!! I know I had two very scary points.

When they told me I had cancer, I felt all was lost.

Then, after my surgery, the first time I went in for a checkup was probably the toughest times in my life. Waiting for the doctor to come in, then hearing him say I was cancer-free!!! No, that wasn't a tear in my eye - I'm a big tough pilot!

Sandy said...

YES [fist pump]
I knew he would be fine!
Take it from someone who has been on artificial thyroid hormone since 1997. Piece o cake!

Nicole said...

I'm so excited! When I saw A last month I could tell he was itching to get back in the air. Fingers crossed about the final word!