Friday, September 6, 2019

Back to school stress

Fall back to school season is always one of the hardest times for me. I love sending accumulating all the goods, cute fall outfits ( so hard to find outfits for 90 degree days in fall colors though!), and seeing everyone’s first day photos. But every year it brings up significant anxiety for me when I have to fill out the emergency contact forms. We don’t have any family nearby- just two cousins who live six hours away each- and we’ve never found those close family friends I’ve always wished for. I have a few neighbors and acquaintances who have said I could use them but it seems like such a huge task to ask of someone- “will you pick my child up from school if I’m unconscious from a car accident and take care of them for who knows how long until their dad can fly back?” Or “Can you make medical decisions for my child, or children, in an emergency situation?” Maybe I’m just overthinking it, partially because of where I work, but those seem like some heavy responsibilities to ask of someone you don’t know well. And every year I have to face the fact that we still haven’t found those friends we click with well enough for me to think “of course I’ll put so and so.” I know my heart would feel well more settled if we had a plan in place for our children if something were to happen to both of us. But again it’s such an awesome responsibility to ask someone to raise our kids, and get to know them and spend time with them so they aren’t strangers, if something happens to us. I think it’s something I will eternally struggle with.

In other news, we survived the hurricane with no major issues. A was able to get home to us ahead of time to help prepare and wait. And wait. And wait. I am thankful that his company allows him time off with no issues and I hope they continue to do so.

No comments: