Thursday, February 7, 2008

Real life is boring

I try to keep this blog about the aviation related parts of my life, but lately there hasn't been much to write about. I guess that's good. There's little things here and there, but nothing lately that's been worthy of its own post. A comes, A goes, life goes on.

While A was here recently, I got to listen in on the pilot conference call with the CEO of the company. It was really interesting to listen to and hear some truth behind the rumors. Basically, pilots can call in from where-ever and listen in on a giant conference call. After an update by the CEO, people are free to ask questions of him and he will answer them to the best of his ability. Of course, the CEO painted a rosy picture of the future of the airline while rumors run rampant about base closures, investors pulling out and a million other things. But I think it was great that the pilots got a chance to candidly ask the CEO questions.

We also hosted A's friend on Superbowl Sunday while he was here on a layover. It was interesting to talk to someone from a different base and hear his take on all the news and rumors.

We hear there's going to be a 20% reduction in lines in the next few months, which may or may not put A back on reserve (we're hoping not). Already there have been reductions in the lines from our local airport as they concentrate the flying in another part of the US. He's had to turn to other airlines to commute out to his base, whereas he used to be able to do it solely on his own. But whatever works.

I watched both the American and British versions of Airline. It was interesting to see the difference in the two. I had first thought that the British staff were mean compared to the Americans. But then, at the same time, there were some instances where they went out of their way to do things I don't think the Americans ever would have done. So I guess it could go either way.

I saw that UAL was going to start charging for people who checked more than one bag. I'm not sure that I agree with the way that they are implementing the rule, but there is no doubt that it will generate some revenue. The comments were the most interesting part of the article.

Maybe A will have a good flying story when he gets home in a few days...

No comments: