Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Another fork in the road

So we have settled into the private charter lifestyle at this point. Trips come up short notice- sometimes just 24-48 hours, but they are rarely multi-day trips. A can request off any days he wants- no stress trying to bid a particular schedule or whether he'll be home for an event/holiday/birthday. I can't complain about those things. And since we never used our airline flight benefits, we aren't really missing those either. But now, all the airlines are hiring again, some at a nearly desperate pace. A gets calls regularly from former coworkers asking if he wants a recommendation to their airline. Right now he is committed to his current gig and always declines for the time being. And I admit, although I like what he is doing, I always wonder if we are making the right decision. Going back to the airlines would mean a predictable (and higher for now) salary, healthcare benefits, and a different kind of stress for him. But then when he's home, he's home. Not constantly on the phone monitoring flights, placating pilots, or trying to manage vast amounts of paperwork and random tasks. There are days when A comes home and is so happy with his current position. And some days when it's just a job. And some days he comes home and says "this is never going to work, we'll all be back at the airline in a year." What does the future hold for each path? I so hate the unknown! For now we hold steady with the local job.

Summer is coming up on us so fast! Only a few weeks left before camp season. I was a little delayed getting everyone registered for their camps, but they mostly got what they wanted. There are a few weeks where we'll have three kids at three different locations, which will take some coordination. But as always, we'll find a way. Next year boy # 3 will begin kindergarten.That leaves only 1 more, with one year of daycare to go. Although I miss having a sweet little baby around, I am excited for this all grown up stage. We are still slowly divesting ourselves of things like baby gates and potty seats and instead investing in containers and storage for plastic dinosaurs and (even more) playmobil. The older ones bookcase is slowing moving from Lego creations to books and gaming sets. And there are a few things that I know are with their last age appropriate user. It will be hard to let some things go. We are planning a trip to the Kennedy Space Center for early August. We have two kids who are fascinated by all things space and science. I made the mistake of telling them about the trip. And now every morning I get asked if today is the day we are going on our vacation. I'm glad they are excited, but oh my goodness, I not sure how I can outlast all summer of asking...

I know one day we'll be able to look back at all the turns this road has taken and see how it all comes together. But when you are in the middle of the path, it's so hard to feel sure of how where it's going to end up.

No comments: